Pets are an important part of our lives, and considered “part of our family”. When you are planning a move, not only is it stressful to you, but also can be for your pets. It is helpful to do some research and plan ahead when moving with pets. Not only will you put your mind at ease, but will also make the transition better for your pet.
Follow these Tips to Make Moving With Pets Easier.
Before and During the Move:
- Make sure your pet has proper ID tags with your name and cell phone number. Microchipping your pet is another way to keep them safe. Doors will be left open and a lot of people will be going in and out of the house during the moving process. Taking these steps will ensure they will be easily located if they somehow run away.
- If possible, take your pet to your new home before moving day. Let him explore to become familiar with his new surroundings. If you are able, leave an old toy of his behind at your new home, to help your pet adjust to the new place when you officially move in.
- On the day of the move, confine your pet to their carrier or an unoccupied room.
- Make sure you have a separate bag packed for your pet that includes their food and a gallon of water on the day of move. When you arrive at your new home, you will not have to search for the basics and will know your pet is taken care of.
After the Move:
- Place familiar objects in relatively the same location as in your previous home and try to keep their schedule the same. This will help ease your pet’s anxiety. If your cat’s litter-box was in the bathroom of your previous home, put it in the bathroom in the new home. If your dog has been accustomed to eating twice a day, don’t suddenly change his feeding schedule to once a day.
- Be patient. Allow your pets to take their time and explore. Their behavior may change for awhile, including eating and “potty” habits, barking, pacing or protection behaviors. They need time to get used to their new home, just as you do.
- Give your pet all the attention he is used to. A bit of extra loving will go a long way as they come to feel at home in their new surroundings. Before you know it, you will all be adjusted and enjoying your new home together. Read more about moving cross county with pets here! Another great resource is Animal Land Pet Movers. They can help relocate your pet safely and professionally, if you are unable. Check them out here!