Moving Tips and Checklists
Getting organized is the name of the game when your moving date is just weeks away. So we have put together this handy moving checklist so you can make sure you do the items necessary to make your moving process as smooth as possible.
4 Weeks Before
- Contact us for your free, no obligation moving estimate
- Notify the Post office of your new address. You can do so on-line at https://moversguide.usps.com
- Arrange for any repairs or installations in your current home and your new home
- Obtain forms for transferring drivers license(s) and applying for credit
- Notify school(s) of children’s transfer and heck into pre-registration procedures for the new schools
3 Weeks Before
- Send drapes, carpets, furniture for repairs or cleaning
- Arrange to have utilities, appliances and telephone disconnected and arrange for utility and telephone hook-up in your new home
- Obtain dental and medical records to take with you
- If you are planning on packing yourself, now is a good time to start!
- Make any travel arrangements, including interim hotel reservations and car rental
- Decide what to move and what to give away. Have a garage sale!
2 Weeks Before
- Return library books and anything borrowed from friends or neighbors
- Relax! Take the family for a farewell drive to some of the places you’ve loved. Have a “going away” party for the kids and their friends
- Take care of bills, stocks and investments
- Take pet(s) to veterinarian for immunization and preparation for trip
- Pay and pick up any store layaways or items that are being cleaned, stored or repaired
- Arrange for the transfer of any bank or other accounts
- Drain oil and gasoline from power equipment
- Have car prepared for the trip. Check tires, brakes, windshield wipers, etc.
1 Week Before
- Transfer prescriptions
- Arrange for delivery services to be discontinued – newspapers, etc.
- Start gathering those items to take with you on your trip
Just Days Before
- Pack luggage
- Defrost and dry refrigerator and freezer to be moved
- Obtain cash or travelers checks for trip expenses
- Pack immediate needs such as coffee pot, a few dishes, pots and pans, towels, soap and bedding
- Complete any packing you are doing yourself!
Remember, if you have any questions regarding moving, contact Premier Relocations. We’re more than happy to help!